100 sickened by suspected norovirus after event at Willow Ridge County Club in Rye

A country club spokesperson says the virus was not food-related and that the outbreak was caused by an infected guest. (5/10/14)

RYE - More than a hundred people have become ill after visiting a popular country club in Westchester County.

Students and parents were celebrating the end of the school year at the Willow Ridge Country Club on April 30 when many fell ill with norovirus-like symptoms. A country club spokesperson says the virus was not food-related and that the outbreak was caused by an infected guest.

Norovirus is a highly contagious gastrointestinal illness, and symptoms include severe vomiting and diarrhea. The country club closed down while health officials disinfected the building to stop the spread of the virus.

Schools in Rye were also vigorously scrubbed throughout the week. Health officials say there is no risk to the general public, and both the Willow Ridge Country Club and Rye schools are back in operation.

Though the illness is painful, officials say everyone infected is expected to make a full recovery.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12