2 firefighters injured in toxic gas incident at Tappan Zee High School

Tappan Zee High School is open as usual this morning, hours after a hazmat incident last night. Fire officials say they were called to the

Hazmat crews were called to the school after

Hazmat crews were called to the school after two firefighters were overcome by toxic fumes.

ORANGEBURG - Tappan Zee High School is open as usual this morning, hours after a hazmat incident last night.

Fire officials say they were called to the school after a cleaning contractor was using some sort of acid-based solution to clean the ladies room near the building's main entrance. That cleaning solution reacted with an unknown substance in the bathroom to create a toxic gas. "It reacted wrong and created some type of fog, it set off a detector in the school," says Pete Burn, of the Orangeburg Fire Department.

The few people who were in the school, mostly janitorial staff, were evacuated and all got out safely.

However, two volunteer firefighters were sickened by the fumes and had to be taken to the hospital. They are expected to be OK.

The Rockalnd County Hazmat team was called in, and they were able to neutralize the acid.

Classes are in session as scheduled today.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Kristina's Korner tracks the 1 Trending: 'Lady Gaga' and 'Waldorf Astoria'
Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino sat through a 2 County exec responds to rowdy 'Ask Astorino' town hall
Kristina's Korner tracks the 3 Trending: 'SpaceX to Fly 2 to Moon'
Heralding a 4 Trump declares it's 'time to join forces' to fix US problems
Fire officials say flames sparked at a Westleigh 5 Massive fire destroys home in Lake Carmel

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE