Attic fire on Mersereau Avenue leaves Mount Vernon family homeless

Firemen think a malfunctioning electrical outlet in the

Firemen think a malfunctioning electrical outlet in the attic is likely to blame.

MOUNT VERNON - A Mount Vernon family is homeless after a late night attic fire.

Fire officials say the smoky blaze ignited around 11 p.m. at a home on Mersereau Avenue. It took about 20 Mount Vernon firefighters 45 minutes to place the blaze under control

Four people inside at the time were able to get out safely, but will not be able to go back inside because of electrical issues and water damage.

Investigators think a malfunctioning electrical outlet in the attic is likely to blame.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 speaks with residents about what they 1 Westchester Talks Trump: Tax plan
VIDEO: Interview with survivor of human trafficking 2 VIDEO: Interview with survivor of human trafficking
The chief of staff for Clarkstown Supervisor George 3 Clarkstown official accused of spying for boss at disciplinary hearing
VIDEO: Interview with SUNY Old Westbury President Dr. 4 VIDEO: Interview with SUNY Old Westbury president
Four workers were rushed to the hospital Thursday 5 4 workers injured in Yonkers construction accident

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE