David Wentroble, chaplain at Nyack Hospital, dies of injuries in December gas explosion
NYACK - A Rockland County chaplain, who was severely injured after a freak explosion at a Connecticut gas station, has died from his injuries.
A Bridgeport Hospital spokesman says David Wentroble, a chaplain at Nyack Hospital and pastor at Central Presbyterian Church in Haverstraw, passed away from his injuries Tuesday evening.
Wentroble suffered extensive burns over 60 percent of his body on Dec. 20 after an explosion as he pumped gas at a Danbury station. He had been in the Bridgeport Hospital's burn unit since the accident.
Officials say it was likely static electricity that sparked the explosion, but it's nearly impossible to find the exact cause.
Nyack Hospital CEO David Freed says Wentroble was a friend to countless patients and staff members. "His involvement in people of all faiths; most wonderful and most difficult moments alike helped to double their pleasures and halve their sorrows, respectively. He seemed to be omnipresent throughout Nyack Hospital and we will all continue to feel his presence yet miss him terribly."