Fire almost traps woman inside burning Mount Vernon apartment

Firefighters were able to rescue a woman trapped inside her Mount Vernon apartment by flames. (2/25/14)

MOUNT VERNON - A Mount Vernon woman is lucky to be alive after flames trapped her inside her apartment during a fire this morning.

Firefighters responded to a call just before noon today on the second floor of an apartment building on South 5th Avenue. All the tenants were able to get out except for one who was trapped inside. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames and bring the woman to safety. They were also able to keep the flames from spreading to other apartments in the building. There is no word on the woman's condition.

The cause of the fire still hasn't been determined, but more than a dozen people are now homeless. "I went to physical therapy and that's what I got a call to come home to. Now I have no home to come to," says victim Michelle Wilson.

Firefighters from New Rochelle and Yonkers were also called in to give mutual aid to Mount Vernon.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12