GREENBURGH - A fire at a Greenburgh townhouse triggered an explosion, sending all the floors collapsing to the ground.

The fire was sparked at around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at a townhouse on Turnberry Drive near the St. Andrew's Golf Club. Firefighters say they got a call about a fire in one of the townhouses on the property and a woman possibly trapped inside an elevator.

As firefighters were getting the trapped woman out of the building and over to EMS crews, the building exploded. Thankfully, they were just heading out the door and no one was trapped inside as the upper floors collapsed. News 12 has been told the cause of the explosion is likely a smoke explosion or backdraft.

Police say the townhouse will have to be torn down because of the significant damage. People living in nearby townhouses were evacuated, but the fire did not spread to other buildings.

The resident was taken to Westchester Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Three firefighters were also treated for smoke inhalation.

For extended Chopper 12 video over the explosion, watch the clip to the left or go to News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.