NEW WINDSOR - An Orange County animal shelter is cleaning up after a fire ripped through one of its buildings, killing two dogs and injuring several others Sunday in New Windsor.
The quick thinking of a volunteer firefighter is being credited with saving many of the animals at the Hudson Valley SPCA building on New Britain Road.
While the surviving dogs begin their road to recovery, the shelter is looking to rebuild so it can continue to help the animals.
MORE: Animals in the News
The remainder of the dogs affected by the fire are being housed in temporary foster homes.
Fire officials say the fire may be linked to a dryer hose.
For extended interviews on the fire, watch the clip to the left or go to News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.