Newburgh Building Dept.: Furnace caused fatal CO leak

Investigators have discovered the reason for a carbon monoxide leak that killed two people inside a Newburgh apartment building.

Investigators have discovered the reason for a carbon monoxide leak that killed two people inside a Newburgh apartment building.

Investigators have discovered the reason for a carbon monoxide leak that killed two people inside a Newburgh apartment building. (3/6/15)

NEWBURGH - Investigators have discovered the reason for a carbon monoxide leak that killed two people inside a Newburgh apartment building.

As News 12 previously reported, the leak was discovered at 55 Landers St. Steve Hunter from the City of Newburgh Building Department told News 12 that a blocked chimney caused the incident.

Authorities say carbon monoxide contributed to the death of a woman Wednesday. It was originally believed that she suffered a heart attack. She has been identified as 65-year-old Jewell Cummings.

The woman's boyfriend, Robert Richardson, was found Thursday in a basement apartment. Emergency crews were originally on the scene to treat a sick tenant when he was found dead.

According to the City of Newburgh Fire Department, 12 people were taken to St. Luke's Hospital for treatment, but only 10 were admitted for CO poisoning. All are expected to be OK.

News 12 spoke to one neighbor who was sickened by the gas. She said she and her children had been feeling ill for days and never suspected it was from carbon monoxide.

Fire officials say there were no carbon monoxide or smoke detectors in 55 Landers St.

News 12 is told that the building will be condemned until it gets get a working furnace.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The woman was discovered by officers around 7 1 Police: Woman shot in the head in Yonkers
Theresa Gorski's family took her off life support 2 Woman allegedly strangled by husband dies
Click PLAY for the latest weather forecast. 3 Westchester Weather Forecast
A Monsey man says he was beaten at 4 Monsey man says he was beaten at wedding for using phone
Video: Swearing-in ceremony of President Trump and Vice 5 Video: Swearing-in ceremony of President Trump and Vice President Pence

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Authorities say carbon monoxide contributed to the death 2 dead after CO leak inside Newburgh apartment

Two people have died and a dozen others were hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE