SPRING VALLEY - Fire officials appear to have changed their minds about a blaze at a Spring Valley home that was initially believed to be an accident.
Officials were called to a home on South Madison Avenue early Wednesday for a domestic dispute, and again two hours later for a suspicious fire at the same house. Sandra Sanichar is now facing arson and reckless endangerment charges. Detectives say she started a fire in the garage, which was being used as a bedroom.
Police say Sanichar’s husband was sleeping in the garage when she used gasoline to light it up. They say the fire spread into the garage attic, but not the house.
READ MORE: Hudson Valley Crime Stories
The incident came as a shock to some neighbors, but others say the couple has had multiple disputes in the past.
Sanichar was released from jail on bond, and is expected to return to court next Wednesday.