Officials: Man falling asleep while smoking caused fire at Spring Valley senior complex on North Main Street

Police say a cigarette sparked the fire at a senior citizen's complex in Spring Valley Sunday night that displaced 27 and left one man hospitalized.

A spokesperson for the Spring Valley Fire Department

A spokesperson for the Spring Valley Fire Department told News 12 that a fire broke out at the Spring Valley Senior Living complex on North Main Street at around 8 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. (Credit: News 12)

SPRING VALLEY - Police say a cigarette sparked the fire at a senior citizen's complex in Spring Valley Sunday night that displaced 27 and left one man hospitalized.

The fire started at around 8 p.m. Sunday on North Main Street near Linden Avenue.

Spring Valley police say the fire was accidentally caused by a 72-year-old resident, who fell asleep on his couch while smoking. That man was taken to Westchester Medical Center with second-degree burns over much of his lower body. Police say a working sprinkler system in his apartment helped douse the fire, saving him from being more severely injured.

Twenty-seven people were displaced in the fire. Most are staying with relatives and others are at a nearby hotel.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Students at Graham Elementary School are back in 1 Students return after fatal shooting of classmate
Knowing what your insurance considers 2 Tips to help you reduce your health care costs
VIDEO: Arrest made in fatal shooting of Mount 3 VIDEO: Arrest made in fatal shooting of Mount Vernon teen
Police say gang violence in Mount Vernon is 4 Police: Gang violence to blame for 13-year-old’s death
5 Westchester/Hudson Valley Sportscast, Jan. 17

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE