Officials: Man falling asleep while smoking caused fire at Spring Valley senior complex on North Main Street

Police say a cigarette sparked the fire at a senior citizen's complex in Spring Valley Sunday night that displaced 27 and left one man hospitalized.

A spokesperson for the Spring Valley Fire Department

A spokesperson for the Spring Valley Fire Department told News 12 that a fire broke out at the Spring Valley Senior Living complex on North Main Street at around 8 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. (Credit: News 12)

SPRING VALLEY - Police say a cigarette sparked the fire at a senior citizen's complex in Spring Valley Sunday night that displaced 27 and left one man hospitalized.

The fire started at around 8 p.m. Sunday on North Main Street near Linden Avenue.

Spring Valley police say the fire was accidentally caused by a 72-year-old resident, who fell asleep on his couch while smoking. That man was taken to Westchester Medical Center with second-degree burns over much of his lower body. Police say a working sprinkler system in his apartment helped douse the fire, saving him from being more severely injured.

Twenty-seven people were displaced in the fire. Most are staying with relatives and others are at a nearby hotel.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Rally held to support sick leave legislation 1 VIDEO: Rally held to support sick leave legislation
Ray Navarette is among the Long Island Ducks' 2 Legendary LI Duck lands in Bloomingdales with clothing line
3 Long Island Sportscast, March 27
Troy Ramey of Sea Cliff competes on NBC's 4 Long Islander competes on 'The Voice'
State police originally tried to stop Anthony Haripersaud 5 High-speed chase leads police through Rye, into the Bronx

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE