Space heater blamed in Sparkill fire that destroyed two buildings

Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill. Firefighters say an electric

SPARKILL - Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill.

Firefighters say an electric space heater sparked the fire Sunday night on Main Street. Sparkill Fire Chief Mike Yannazzone says the fire moved quickly at a heavy volume between the two buildings. 

No one was injured in the fire, but 27 people who lived in the six apartments above the storefronts lost their homes. A restaurant, a deli and a nail salon also sustained heavy damage.

The Orangetown fire inspector says they're looking at the possibility of an illegal apartment in one of the buildings and violations will likely be issued.

For extended coverage of the fire, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Jericho girl performs in national tour of 'Annie: The Musical'
Residents met with state officials at a community 2 Residents offer input on state budget at Yonkers forum
A group of GoFundMe contributors and a medical 3 Charitable acts help sick Texas boy get home
Kristina's Korner tracks the 4 Trending: 'Fresh Prince' reboot and Lynard Skynard
VIDEO: United Way of Westchester, Putnam to expand 5 VIDEO: United Way of Westchester, Putnam to expand call center

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE