Space heater blamed in Sparkill fire that destroyed two buildings

SPARKILL - Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill.

Firefighters say an electric space heater sparked the fire Sunday night on Main Street. Sparkill Fire Chief Mike Yannazzone says the fire moved quickly at a heavy volume between the two buildings. 

No one was injured in the fire, but 27 people who lived in the six apartments above the storefronts lost their homes. A restaurant, a deli and a nail salon also sustained heavy damage.

The Orangetown fire inspector says they're looking at the possibility of an illegal apartment in one of the buildings and violations will likely be issued.

For extended coverage of the fire, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 asked residents what they thought about 1 Westchester Talks Trump: First 100 days
News 12 Interactive 2 News 12 Varsity Report for April 28
A Westchester County legislator alleges that another candidate 3 County legislator alleges opponent got physical with her
Extended interview with Greenpoint igloo creators 4 Extended interview with Greenpoint igloo creators
In honor of National Superhero Day, News 12 5 Word on the Street: Superheroes

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE