Pool shut down at a Chester hotel after kids become sick

Posted: Updated:

The pool at a hotel in Chester has been shut down after claims that several children became sick following a party.

On January 15, more than a dozen kids attended a pool party at the Holiday Inn Express on Brookside Avenue. Parents say after the party their kids became seriously ill. The Orange County Health Department looked into the situation after reading an article in the Times Herald Record.

The health department tested the water and found that there were excessively high levels of bromine, which is used like chlorine to prevent bacteria. Health department officials say there is no definitive reason to believe that was the specific cause of the kids' symptoms even though the chemical can cause people to become ill.

The Holiday Inn Express had no comment. But the health department tested the hotel pool water on January 12, just three days prior to the party, and found the bromine level safe.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."