Fire rips through Mohegan Lake pet store killing six puppies

Posted: Updated:

A fire ripped through a Mohegan Lake pet store killing six puppies and causing surrounding business to shut down temporarily.

The blaze began Monday evening at the American Breeders shop on East Main Street, located next to a fire station. Firefighters say the cause of the fire was electrical and started in the basement. Fire officials used the fire station as a staging area for all the pets. Fifteen puppies were brought to the Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center in Bedford. Dr. Alan Green says members of his staff worked tirelessly to save the pets, but the owner opted to put down six puppies after they suffered from severe smoke inhalation.

The Assistant Fire Chief says the owner also took 30 dogs from the firehouse with him and may have sought care for them in the Bronx.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."