Carbon monoxide takes the life of Middletown doctor, two others

Posted: Updated:

Police say carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame for the deaths of a Middletown doctor, his wife and a houseguest.

According to authorities, Dr. Laurence Spiro, his wife and their houseguest were found dead Monday at the doctor?s home in Rock Hill. Spiro was a urologist practicing at Orange Regional Medical Center. His colleagues became alarmed when Spiro did not show up for surgery Monday.

Officials believe the three died while sleeping, a time when most people cannot feel the effects of the poisonous gas. Fire officials say only a detector will pick up the presence of carbon monoxide.

Related linkCarbon Monoxide Network

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."