Several people, animals escape home fire on South 12th Avenue in Mount VernonPosted: Updated:
The American Red Cross is helping several families who had their multi-family home in Mount Vernon destroyed by fire.
Officials say heavy flames started from the third floor of the South 12th Avenue home at around 9 p.m. Thursday.
They say seven people as well as a 2-year-old and an infant were able to escape. Firefighters were able to rescue a mother cat and four kittens from the first-floor apartment. No one was injured.
Officials are investigating what sparked the flames.