2 men rescued in Newburgh fire

Posted: Updated:

Two men were rescued in Newburgh by firefighters and good Samaritans as their home went up in flames.



Lewis Gayle, 33, was dangling out of a second-story window of the Chambers Street rooming house when he was helped down by people nearby with a ladder.



Firefighters say a second man was found sleeping inside a top-floor room and was taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation.



Gayle, who just moved in, says he lost everything.



Fire officials say a space heater sparked the blaze.



At least a half dozen people who lived in the building are being helped out by the Red Cross.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."