Monsey toddler suffocated in tragic closet accident

Posted: Updated:

Police say that a toddler in Monsey died this morning after a tragic accident in which he was suffocated by a piece of heavy shelving while playing with his siblings.

Ramapo Police Detective Lt. Mark Emma says 1-year-old Shalom Goldman was playing with siblings and friends when a nearly 20-pound shelving rack, which was leaning against a wall, toppled over and trapped him inside a closet at his home.

Emma added that it is unknown how long Goldman was in that position before his 6-year-old brother found him and screamed to his mother for help. He was rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police have ruled the death accidental and say no charges will be filed. Goldman would have turned 2 years old on April 1.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."