Middletown fire chief's home goes up in flames

Posted: Updated:

Middletown Fire Chief Kevin Duggan is cleaning up the aftermath from a fire that broke out at his own home last night.

Duggan says the fire started when a power strip shorted out and set some paper aflame. He says he radioed in to the fire department, which quickly responded and put out the fire.

"That's something you wouldn't expect," said Jim Sweeny, a Middletown resident. "The fire chief to have a fire in his own house, that's kind of ironic you know."

During the response, an assistant fire chief in an SUV and a Middletown police car collided while heading to the scene. Officials say both only suffered minor injuries, however, the vehicles were badly damaged.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."