Grease fire destroys 2-family home in Newburgh

Posted: Updated:

More than a dozen people don't have a place to call home this morning after a massive fire in Newburgh.

The blaze began after 8 p.m. last night at a two-family home on Liberty Street.

Fire officials say the grease fire began in a second-floor kitchen, and the flames then quickly spread to the third floor.

One person was injured and taken to St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital because of difficulty breathing. A firefighter was also taken to the hospital with chest pains.

The home now has large parts of the roof missing, and people living there will not be able to go back inside. The Red Cross was on the scene and is helping find temporary housing for the residents.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."