Fire devastates historic library in Greenville

Posted: Updated:

A poorly maintained oil furnace is being blamed for a fire at a historic center in Greenville.

Firefighters rushed to the scene on Saturday at the Greenville Resource Center on Mountain Road. Crews were able to contain the blaze, but the building suffered severe damage such as broken windows and a collapsed ceiling.

Center officials say many of the items in this historic reading and learning center suffered severe water damage.

No one was hurt in the fire.

The Greenville fire chief says this fire is a lesson to all homeowners to have your heating system checked out and maintained once a year.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."