Beloved pet ducks perish in Nanuet coop fire

Posted: Updated:

A fire in a Nanuet duck coop yesterday morning killed three beloved pets who had been with their host family from the time they were just chicks.

Trent Porter says his family had built a shed to house seven ducks that they were raising at their home on North Middletown Road. On Monday night, they turned on a floorboard heating system to keep the ducks warm and, according to investigators, it appears that shavings used by the birds to make their nests smoldered with the added heat, eventually igniting the coop.

"It's painful. No one likes to lose a pet, particularly when you feel a bit responsible," Porter says. "We thought we were giving them a good life, a yard to run around in, a shed for protection at night. They were happy ducks."

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."