Cops: Bleach fumes may have killed HV man cleaning home

Posted: Updated:

Police believe that a Sloatsburg man who died while cleaning his home over the weekend may have died as a result of inhaling bleach fumes, but say that an investigation is ongoing.

The 50-year-old victim, who has not yet been identified by police, had been complaining of chest pains Sunday afternoon while cleaning an outdoor deck at his home.

The man was apparently using bleach while doing the job and at some point collapsed. Police and paramedics rushed the man to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The Rockland County Hazmat Team was called to the home to clean up the bleach and ensure that no one else would be exposed to the fumes.

The Rockland County Medical Examiner?s Office has not yet released an exact cause of death.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."