New Square house fire ruled accidental

Posted: Updated:

A house fire in New Square that left a family of seven homeless last night has been ruled accidental.

Investigators have determined that the fire started underneath a deck at the home on Truman Avenue, but haven't said exactly what ignited the flames.

Nearly 100 firefighters battled the fire for more than an hour. A child outside the home reported the fire to the people inside, all of whom got out safely.

Assistant Hillcrest Fire Chief Lloyd Hovelmann says that New Square Emergency Services was called before anyone called 911, which likely delayed the firefighters' response.

"Even though there might have been a delay, the destruction probably would have happened anyway," says New Square Fire Inspector Manny Carmona.

Investigators say there was an air conditioning unit near where the fire originated, and a pile of straw was found nearby.

The seven people who lost their home are now staying with relatives.

For footage and interviews from the site of the fire that ravaged a New Square home, go to your digital cable box and select iO Extra on Ch. 612.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."