New City family escapes fire after son wakes to smell of smoke

Posted: Updated:

A New City family managed to escape a fire that destroyed its home yesterday morning after the homeowner's son awakened to use the bathroom, smelled smoke and alerted his father.

Investigators say the home on Tamarac Avenue was completely destroyed in the early morning blaze.

The family was able to make it out of the home uninjured after the young boy alerted his father to the smell of smoke at around 5:45 a.m.

Firefighters say a short in an electrical outlet on the rear deck sparked the blaze, which quickly spread up to the attic and ravaged the home.

The family will be staying at a local hotel until they figure out what to do next.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."