Fire ravages abandoned Wallkill home

Posted: Updated:

A homeless man may have accidentally sparked a fire Thursday at an abandoned Wallkill house where he was staying, investigators say.

Fire officials say the homeless man was first thought to have been inside the Webb Road home, but the residence turned out to be empty.

The single-story house has been abandoned for years and has a history of minor fires. Firefighters allowed the building to burn down.

Officials say the fire is being investigated as suspicious.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."