Fire destroys unoccupied Wallkill home

Posted: Updated:

Fire officials say a fast-moving blaze destroyed a Wallkill home late Monday night, leaving a family of four homeless.

Officials say the family was staying at motel at the time of the fire because of a gas leak in the home noticed two weeks ago. According to police, the gas and electricity in the home were turned off at the time of the blaze.

It took dozens of firefighters to extinguish the destructive flames.

"I'm 36 years old, I don't make a great amount of money, but I work hard for my living and everything that I've earned in the last 20 years was in that house," Mark Hammer, the homeowner, says.

Wallkill police and the Orange County arson task force are investigating the fire, which they consider suspicious.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."