Officials: Fire caused by illegal oven

Posted: Updated:

Fire officials say a fire that broke out at a Kiryas Joel home Wednesday was caused by an illegal oven being used for the Passover holiday.

According to authorities, the Seven Springs Road home where matzah was being made wasn't licensed or designed for a commercial oven. Officials say the fire started after a modified smokestack began to generate so much heat it burned the floorboards above it.

An investigation into the fire is ongoing.

To watch the aftermath of Kiryas Joel fire that officials say was sparked by an illegal oven, go to channel 612 on your iO Extra digital cable box and select iO Extra.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."