Campfire accident badly burns 2Posted: Updated:
Two Monroe-Woodbury High School students were badly burned this past weekend when a campfire began to rage out of control.
Authorities say six girls - all 15 years old - had gathered at a popular wooded area in Harriman Saturday night when one of them decided to ignite the campfire using gasoline. Police say the resulting explosion burned two of the girls and sent a rush of flames around the site.
Both of the girls are hospitalized, one with burns over 80 percent of her body. Police say no drugs or alcohol were involved in the incident.