Parents of child hurt in blaze could face chargesPosted: Updated:
Police are looking at possible charges for the parents of the 6-year-old boy who was alone at his Middletown apartment when a fire broke out Wednesday, reducing the home to rubble.
A Middletown police officer and a firefighter managed to pull out Wilmer Diaz from a second-floor apartment at 212 East Main St. The boy was taken to Westchester Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation and second- and third-degree burns. He is expected to recover.
Several sources say at the time of the blaze, Wilmer's father and little brother were taking his mother to work. Wilmer was allegedly at home because he was sick.
Neighbor Douglas Robinson, who also escaped the fire, says he was not sure who was supposed to look after the boy.
"We don't know why he was left alone," he says. "We're more concerned about the kid right now than anybody else."
Police say Wilmer's parents could end up in family court for leaving the young child unattended.