Fire forces Palisades family out into the cold

Posted: Updated:

An early morning fire forced a Palisades family out into the cold Friday.

Dozens of firefighters battled the flames at 2 Scotty Ave., just off Route 340. Investigators say the homeowner put some wood in a stove and left the house while his mother-in-law and 21-year-old son slept inside.

"One of them woke up, heard [a] crackling sound in the house and noticed the fire on the outside of the house," Orangetown Assistant Fire Inspector Douglas Sampath says.

Investigators believe the fire started in the corner of the home near the chimney, but say it's too early to say if the wood stove caused the blaze.

No one was hurt in the fire. However, there is a hole in the roof and one side of the house was torn apart due to the fire damage.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."