Gas leak causes house fire in Scarsdale

Posted: Updated:

Two firefighters and two police officers were injured in a house fire caused by a gas leak in Scarsdale Saturday morning.

Officials say a sewer line underneath 4 Drake Road sprang a leak, and the house?s heating system ignited the gas, causing a blaze. The flames spread to the basement before being contained.

After the fire was put out, Con Edison workers surveyed the damage and inspected surrounding homes to ensure there were no other leaks in the area.

"Even though we don't have gas in the house, they came in and checked and made sure we had no issues,? says neighbor Sheri Young.

As a result of the fire, 11 customers were left without gas and traffic was re-routed along Drake Road. The owner of the home where the fire started was taken to White Plains Hospital. His condition is not being released.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."