Another Mount Vernon home ravaged by fire

Posted: Updated:

A Mount Vernon family was left homeless Saturday after a blaze tore through their home on South 11th Avenue.

The owner of the house, Tyro Allen Williams, says a space heater is to blame for the blaze. According to Williams, the appliance malfunctioned and set his pants on fire, which later spread to the rest of the residence.

Neighbors say they saw Williams run five blocks to the nearest fire department to get help because he did not have a cellular phone.

This is the third fire in just one week in Mount Vernon. On Thanksgiving eve, a blaze inside a house on South 7th Avenue left three families homeless, and last Sunday, another home went up in flames.

The Red Cross is helping Williams with temporary shelter, food and clothing.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."