9 New City residents hospitalized with CO poisoning

Posted: Updated:

Nine Rockland County residents were taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning, authorities say.

According to Clarkstown police, a carbon monoxide detector went off inside a multifamily home at 399 South Little Tor Road in New City shortly after 2 a.m. The owner of the house thought the detector malfunctioned, but when he changed the batteries, it sounded again.

?We wake up, my daughter started to feel weak, and then we called 911 and went to the hospital,? says Kenny Sayto, who lives at the house with his family.

The responding officers evacuated all the residents, including five children. Then, the New City fire officials went in with meters, which registered extremely high levels of carbon monoxide inside the residence.

All the tenants were treated and released from Nyack Hospital. The Orange and Rockland Utility inspected the home and deemed it safe for them to go back inside.

The cause of the leak is yet to be determined. An investigation team was not able to duplicate the conditions that filled the house with CO. They say it is possible the leak could have been caused by a temporary blockage that cleared up.

For an interview about the carbon monoxide leak at New City home, go to your digital cable box and select iO Extra, Channel 612.

Click here for tips on carbon monoxide safety

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."