Elderly Chester woman survives house explosion

Posted: Updated:

A 75-year-old Chester woman was seriously injured early Wednesday when her house exploded, causing the roof and four walls to collapse around her.

Fire authorities say a leaking propane tank is likely to blame for the explosion at 82 Goose Pond Mountain Road. It took rescue workers just 10 minutes to free Mary Patricia Lipsey, who was pinned between the first floor and the basement.

Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to any other homes, including the house of Lipsey's family members who live on a property in front of hers. The woman?s own residence however, turned into a pile of smoking rubble after the explosion and had to be leveled by a bulldozer.

Lipsey was flown to Westchester Medical Center with burns and internal injuries.

Officials are not sure what ignited the tank.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."