Greenville house gutted in morning blaze

Posted: Updated:

A fast-moving fire swept through a Greenville home Tuesday morning, nearly destroying it in the process.

Fire officials say the calm, but cold weather conditions helped firefighters put out the blaze, though winds picked up later.

The Salvation Army pitched in to offer hot coffee to the firefighters. The organization also helped the homeowner.

Fire officials say the smoke detector did its job and alerted Anna Romero to the fire. She and her 16-year-old daughter got out just before the fire gutted the interior of the home.

Assistant Fire Chief Jack Cavender says the blaze was probably started by smoldering ashes from a wood-burning stove.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."