Mold invades Hendrick Hudson H.S. basementPosted: Updated:
Officials at Hendrick Hudson High School in Montrose are working to clean up a growing mold problem.
The mold was discovered while workers were remodeling an area of the school basement, which has been plagued by excess moisture in recent years. The mold has contaminated rooms used by the school?s music programs. That section of the school has been cordoned off until the cleanup is completed. The original renovations were expected to cost about $200,000, but the cleanup of mold could now add another $100,000 to that figure.
Many students have complained that the smell is horrible and has made them nauseous or given them headaches. Even though students report odors elsewhere in the building, the superintendent claims there is no danger. There are no reports of anyone becoming ill from the mold. The cleanup is expected to take several weeks.