Downed wires spark fire at Goshen office buildingPosted: Updated:
A fire that destroyed an office building in Goshen may have been inadvertently started by a box truck.
Officials say power lines hanging down outside a Saint John Street building sparked a fire. Employees at a doctor's office and Cullen's Communications were quickly evacuated. Police and fire officials believe a box truck leaving the rear of the building didn?t clear the hanging wires and took them down. Police say the truck driver turned himself in to authorities and was issued a ticket. They say the driver probably didn?t realize what happened.
Firefighters had to cut through the roof to battle the fire. The village building inspector says the damage rendered the building unsafe and it will have to come down. Meanwhile, as firefighters battled the blaze, they also rescued valuable records from inside. Despite needing a new place to work, employees were just thankful no one was injured.