Fire engulfs Chinese restaurant in Mount Ivy

Posted: Updated:

A fierce fire that engulfed a Chinese food restaurant in Mount Ivy Thursday was likely caused by grease build-up in the kitchen's hood ventilation system, fire officials say.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 11 a.m. at the Ocean Empire Restaurant on Route 202. Firefighters dodged flames shooting out of the restaurant?s roof to get the blaze under control.

?I saw heavy, heavy black smoke with orange flames, which is a good indication the fire is being fueled by some type of oil or grease," said Rockland County Fire Commissioner Gordon Wren.

The fire started in the kitchen area as workers were beginning to prepare food for the day. Everyone inside escaped safely. The restaurant's kitchen was destroyed, and other parts of the building suffered serious smoke and water damage.

Firefighters say the restaurant's sprinkler system was working and helped them to put out the fire.To view extended footage of the fire, go to channel 612 on your digital cable box, and click iO Extra.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."