Parents unaware son was inside burning Walden home

Posted: Updated:

A Walden house fire devastated a family after the unexpected news broke that someone was still inside.

The family mourned the loss Friday morning of 17-year-old Joe Savage. Officials said the fire started in the Alfred Place home's basement. The Savages were shocked to find out Joe, who was supposed to be sleeping over a friend's house, had returned home in the middle of the night and was in the basement when the fire broke out.

Officials said firefighters reached Joe while he was unconscious and performed CPR. However, they were unable to revive him. He was brought to St. Luke's Hospital where he later died.

The victim's two brothers said they'll follow in Joe's footsteps and live life to the fullest. Joe was a senior at Central Valley High School.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."