Neighbors try in vain to save Newburgh man from fire

Posted: Updated:

Neighbors tried desperately to save a man from his burning apartment in Newburgh. Residents on the first and third floors of an apartment complex on Montgomery Street say thick smoke proved too difficult for them to overcome Tuesday night. The Newburgh Fire Department arrived within minutes and pulled the man out. He later died of severe burns.

The fire was contained to the victim?s bedroom. Fire officials say it was the seventh fire in the city since the start of the new year. They say almost all of the fires have been related to overworked heaters.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."