Wesley Hills group home resident suffers severe burns in firePosted: Updated:
Fire officials say a cigarette is apparently to blame for a fire at a group home in Wesley Hills that left a resident severely burned.
Fire officials say when they responded to a call at Loeb House Monday night they found a man barely conscious in a second-floor bathroom where the fire was contained. Investigators say the 52-year-old menatally disabled man was apparently smoking a cigarette when the shower curtain and towels caught fire. Officials say the male resident was transported by helicopter to Westchester Medical Center with severe burns to his lower extremities.
No other residents were hurt and the fire was contained to the bathroom. Fire officials are investigating the exact cause, but they say they don?t believe the fire was suspicious.