Apartment fire claims life of Vietnam vet in Middletown

Posted: Updated:

Tenants at Saxony Manor in Middletown are calling their super a hero after he valiantly tried to save a Vietnam veteran from an apartment fire Friday.

The super says he looked in the window of 52-year-old Richard Isley?s apartment and saw a chair had caught fire. He tried to put out the fire and rescue Isley but his efforts were in vain as the flames grew too hot. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which they say was kept under control by a sprinkler system.

Firefighters say the victim?s cigarette was to blame. A total of 18 apartments were damaged by the fire. The Red Cross is helping the dozens left homeless.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."