Electrical malfunction blamed for fire at Sparkill home for the elderly

Posted: Updated:

(10/27/06) SPARKILL - Investigators believe an electrical malfunction sparked a fire Friday at a home for the elderly and handicapped in Sparkill.

Residents in the three-story Thorpe Village building say they heard alarms and smelled smoke shortly after midnight Thursday. Several fire departments responded quickly and evacuated residents. Firefighters rescued 85-year-old Vyola Herring from the apartment where the fire started. Fire officials say she was unconscious and had burns on her back and hands. Herring is recovering at Westchester Medical Center. Some other residents suffered smoke inhalation. The nuns that run the complex say the outcome of the fire could have been much worse. They credit the quick response of local fire departments for helping the situation from becoming deadly.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."