Hazmat crews decontaminate Congers factory workers after chemical accidentPosted: Updated:
Hazmat teams were called to deal with a chemical accident that sickened employees at a Congers cosmetic factory Tuesday.
Clarkstown police say after sorbic acid was mixed with other compounds, it escaped into the air in a work area occupied by 20 people at the Intercos factory. Some workers complained of breathing problems and skin irritations. Hazmat teams and paramedics decontaminated some of the workers by flushing them with water. Seven people were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
All the workers were evacuated while hazmat crews cleaned up inside the building. Then the crews and firefighters were also hosed down. All the employees were sent home for the day.