Homeowners watch as house burns in New City

Posted: Updated:

The heat and humidity made it a tough battle for firefighters as they tried to save a New City home from burning down.

The homeowners watched helplessly as fire spread from their garage to the house on Chestnut Grove Court. Firefighters say they had a hard time because there was a lot of stuff stored in the garage. Five different departments responded to the fire. Even though firefighters took shifts many became quickly exhausted due to the weather.

No one was injured in the fire. Firefighters say the home wasn?t totally destroyed, but it is heavily damaged. Investigators say a window air conditioner unit malfunctioned and sparked the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."