Fire rips through multi-family home in New Square

Posted: Updated:

Firefighters had a tricky time battling a fire at a multi-family home in New Square Thursday.

Investigators say the fire started in the basement and quickly spread up to the second floor of the house on Washington Avenue. Firefighters say it was tough to navigate through the two-story house because it was separated into apartments. All the residents got out safely before firefighters arrived.

The sheriff's arson investigators say the fire appears to be accidental. Investigators say a fluorescent light powered by an extension cord overheated and started the fire. Parts of the home were heavily damaged by smoke and water.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."