Cigarette may have caused Tarrytown track fire

Posted: Updated:
TARRYTOWN -

A tossed cigarette butt may be the cause of a fire on train tracks in Westchester County on Wednesday.

Fire officials say the fire was reported around 5 p.m. at the Tarrytown train station.

The fire was put out quickly, but fire officials are warning people to be more careful. "Make sure they are put out. Put them in a cigarette can. Don't throw them in the brush of the grass because it's going to end up with a cigarette fire with the hot sun like this," says Tarrytown firefighter Patrick Derivan.

No one was injured, and there were no train delays.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."