Man jumps from second-floor window to escape Smithtown fire

Posted: Updated:
SMITHTOWN -

A fire that engulfed a home in Smithtown Tuesday night forced a man to jump from a second-story window. 

The incident occurred on Brooksite Drive around 10:30 p.m., where fire consumed the home and turned it into a pile of debris.

The man who jumped and a woman inside were both transported to the hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening.

Fire officials are searching for what may have sparked the blaze. They say a boiler was recently worked on in the home. It was in the basement, where the fire broke out.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."