Horse trainers back at work after 2 dozen horses die in barn fire

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT HOPE -

Horse trainers were back at work in Mount Hope Monday after a fire claimed the lives of 24 horses over the weekend.

The fire at Mount Hope Training Center also caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

The fire started Saturday around 3 a.m. and was fully engaged by the time firefighters arrived.

Investigators believe the fire could have started by lightning or water in an electrical socket from the heavy rains.

The horses were removed and buried over the weekend.

The 63-acre facility is known among local equestrians and featured 230 stalls and a half-mile of track.

A GoFundMe page has been started for the trainers affected by the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."